Academic Supervisor at the Community College

by / Tuesday, 16 June 2015 / Published in Education

What is it?

There are many types of educational institutions around. After school, students can choose from different academic careers and based upon what they choose, they select an educational institution. Some institutions award degrees to students, and these are the institutions from which a student can complete their bachelors as a graduate. These are university-level institutions. There are other institutions which offer shorter educational programs and grant diplomas, certificates, and associate’s degrees.

An educational institution like this is called a community college in the states. In other countries, the term may refer to a different type of educational institution.

These colleges are also referred to as junior colleges, city colleges, two-year colleges or technical colleges, and a student can move on to a university to complete a graduate degree after completing their program in one of these. The term community comes from the fact that the students enrolled in these colleges are mainly from the local community, and that these colleges are often funded by the money from local tax revenues.


Look at the rankings and surveys

Before enrolling in a college, look at the options available to you. You might consider enrolling in a college near you, in your locality, or you might be interested in a college away from home where you can study as a boarding student. There might be some colleges you find more affordable than others. Based on these and similar factors, narrow down your list of colleges. Then, look up their rankings to see which are considered better. Also, you might want to look at surveys like the CCSSE.

The importance of transferring credits

A program at a community college usually leads to a four-year bachelors program in a degree awarding institution. Consult the academic supervisor at the community college you are considering to discuss credit transfer to four-year institutions and also ask about the articulation agreements of the college. These agreements are maintained between two-year colleges and four-year degree awarding institutions to make the transfer of credits smooth.

Get help from those who have experience

Get help from those who have experience. They may be students who are enrolled in those colleges already, teachers, academic advisors, or even family members who have experience of these colleges. It is better to take advice from someone who has experience, rather than take the plunge and find yourself having problems.